Tess Wynn Thompson, Ph.D.Associate Professor
Biological Systems Engineering
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0303
Curriculum VitaView as PDF
Areas of Interest:
- Watershed management
- Role of vegetation in stream and wetland systems
- Urban stream systems
- Streambank erosion
- B.S. Agricultural Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1992
- M.S. Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1995
- Ph.D. Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2004
|2011 - present||Associate Professor, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech|
2004 - 2011
Assistant Professor, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
|1998 - 2004||Graduate Assistant, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech|
|1996 - 1998||Field Coordinator/Extension Associate, Maryland Cooperative Extension, Frederick, Maryland|
|1995 - 1996||Senior Staff Engineer, Woodward-Clyde, Gaithersburg, Maryland|
|1994 - 1995||Environmental Modeler, North Carolina Division of Environmental Management|
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Alpha Epsilon, 2005
- Graduate Dissertation Award of Merit, Gamma Sigma Delta, 2005
- AAUW Selected Professions Fellowship, 2003-2004
- Outstanding Graduate Student, College of Engineering, 2001-2002
- EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Fellowship, 1999-2002
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 1992-1995
- Virginia Tech 1992 Woman of the Year
- DeBusk, K.M. and T.M. Wynn. (in press). Stormwater bioretention for runoff quality and quantity mitigation. J. Environmental Engineering.
- Utley, B.C., T.M. Wynn, N. Zhang, and L.E. Teany. (in press). Evaluation of a permittivity sensor for continuous monitoring of suspended sediment concentration. Transactions of the ASABE.
- Hession, W.C., T. Wynn, L.M. Resler, and J.C. Curran. 2010. Preface: Geomorphology and vegetation: Interactions, dependencies, and feedback loops. Geomorphology 116(3-4): 203-205.
- Hopkinson, L.C. and T.M. Wynn. 2009. Vegetation impacts on near bank flow. Ecohydrology 2(4): 404-418.
- Bartens, J., J.R. Harris, S.D. Day, T.M. Wynn, and J.D. Dove. 2009. Ecologically Integrated Stormwater Distribution Using Tree Canopy and Structural Tree Soils. Environmental Management 44(4):646-657. DOI 10.1007/s00267-009-9366-9.
- Ranganath, S.C., W.C. Hession, and T.M. Wynn. 2009. Livestock exclusion influences on riparian vegetation, channel morphology, and benthic macroinvertebrate assemblages. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 64(1):33-42.
- Bartens, J., S.D. Day, J.R. Harris, J.D. Dove, and T.M. Wynn. 2008. Can Urban Tree Roots Improve Infiltration through Compacted Subsoils for Stormwater Management? Journal of Environmental Quality. 37(6): 2048-2057.
- Wynn, T.M., M.B. Henderson, and D.H. Vaughan. 2008. Changes in streambank erodibility and critical shear stress due to subaerial processes along a headwater stream, southwestern Virginia, USA. Geomorphology 97: 260-273.
- Piercy, C. and T. M. Wynn. 2008. Predicting root density in streambanks. J. of the American Water Resources Association 44(2): 496-508.
- Clark, L. A. and T. M. Wynn. 2007. Methods for determining streambank critical shear stress and soil erodibility: Implications for erosion rate predictions. Transactions of the ASAE 50(1): 95-106.
- Wynn, T. M. and S. Mostaghimi. 2006. The effects of vegetation and soil type on streambank erosion, southwestern Virginia, USA. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 42(1): 69-82.
- Wynn, T. and S. Mostaghimi. (2006). Effects of riparian vegetation on stream bank subaerial processes in southwestern Virginia, USA. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 31(4):399-413.
- Wynn, T., S. Mostaghimi, J. Burger, A. Harpold, M. Henderson, and L.-A. Henry. 2004. Variation in root density along stream banks. Journal of Environmental Quality. 33: 2030-2039.
- Lee, E., S. Mostaghimi, T. M. Wynn. 2002. A model to enhance wetland design and optimization of nonpoint source pollution control. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 38(1):17-32.
- Wynn, T. M. and S. K. Liehr. 2001. Development of a constructed subsurface flow wetland simulation model. Journal of Ecological Engineering. 16:519-536.
- Wynn, T. M., S. Mostaghimi, J. W. Frazee, P. W. McClellan, R. M. Shaffer, and W. M. Aust. 2000. Effect of forest harvesting best management practices on surface water quality in the Virginia Coastal Plain. Transactions of the ASAE. 43(4):927-936.
- Mostaghimi, S., T. M. Gidley (Wynn), and R. A. Cooke. 1994. Different approaches for controlling sediment. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 49(6):615-621.